What Beverages Help And What Beverages Hurt With A Hangover
Symptoms of a hangover may include nausea, sensitivity to light, headache, achy muscles, diarrhea, and decreased motor skills. These hangover symptoms are the result of changes in body chemistry, including hormones, chemical reactions within the body, and the toxic chemicals in alcohol. Hangovers and their prevention are mostly misunderstood, which is why people have been creating their own hangover cures since the first fermented fruit was consumed thousands of years ago. Though no one meal or drink can cure a hangover, certain beverages are better for reducing the hangover effects. When you wake up with a pounding headache and queasy stomach make it a point to replenish your body with the necessary fluids and nutrients like fructose, vitamins, amino acids, and minerals that can help break down toxins or lessen the body’s negative reaction to alcohol.
Beverages That Hurt A Hangover:
- Anything with alcohol in it. Don’t do it! The hair of the dog only delays the inevitable hangover effects actually making them more server and can lead you down the road to alcohol dependence.
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks. A cup of coffee is ok but a pot of it will just make you more dehydrated and bring on the hangover headache. Red bulls and energy drinks will catch up to you later in the day as well.
- Citrus juices. A glass of orange juice is usually a great way to start the morning but when you are suffering from a hangover the acidic drink may do a number on your queasy stomache.
Beverages That Help a Hangover:
- Water. Alcoholic drinks dehydrate the body and when the body needs water it will get it from any available source. This is why you suffer from headaches when you have a hangover. Drink plenty of water before, during, and after consuming alcoholic beverages. Remember it can take more than a day and a half to rehydrate your body.
- Sports drinks. While you were visiting the bathroom over and over during your night out you were losing electrolytes. Sports drinks can help replace the lost fluids in your system making you feel less dehydrated.
Toip Selling Drinks For Hangovers
Former PANTERA and current HELLYEAH drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott
says "a more immediate cure, which I discovered that I really love, is pickle juice, man. I don't know what it is, but something about the vinegar gets up right up to your muscles and rehydrates you and gets you back going. I drink almost a bottle of pickle juice every day, man, and it keeps me going great."
Read the interview here
Tell Your Friends!